One of the more common questions we hear from patients in San Antonio and surrounding areas is what makes a good candidate for dental implants. This page of information is intended to provide answers to this question and give patients a better idea of what they can expect after getting dental implants.
The most important thing you can do to help yourself is to become as healthy as possible prior to oral surgery. Supplemental procedures may be needed to improve inadequate bone and tissue in the mouth and jaw areas. Quitting tobacco use is also extremely helpful. Patients will also need to get gum disease and tooth decay under control, prior to beginning any tooth replacement treatment. Please feel free to contact our knowledgeable staff to discuss how you can better prepare yourself for the benefits of dental implants.
Like many other surgical procedures, there are certain characteristics that ensure your procedure will have the best chance for success. Most doctors like to see the following basic traits in their dental implant patients:
1) Patients should be missing one or more teeth. Damaged teeth can also be considered for replacement.
2) Patients should have healthy gum and jaw tissue. Healthy tissue better allows the implant to heal properly and stay firmly attached to the jawbone after the procedure.
3) Patients should have decent overall health. Overall good health ensures fewer problems after the procedure and that implants will heal most efficiently.
4) Patients should possess good oral hygiene practices or be willing to start. A clean and healthy mouth ensures better healing and fewer complications after the surgery.
5) Patients should be ready and willing to follow Dr. Zingalis’s directions after dental implant placement. This includes eating soft foods, taking all medications as directed, and avoiding putting pressure on the dental implant surgical site.
Some patients that might not do well with dental implants are women who are pregnant, diabetics, children with undeveloped jawbones, patients with serious underlying health conditions, smokers, tooth grinders, and patients with substance abuse problems.
Just because patients may be less preferred does not mean patients cannot get dental implants. It simply means that more time and energy may be required for the patient to be successful. In fact, most dental implant providers will look at each individual patient and their total circumstances before deciding if they will successfully heal from implant placement. We want you to succeed, so why not give us a call today to find out if dental implants are right for you?
Regardless of whether or not you are a good candidate for dental implants, you should always seek out the consultation of a qualified dental implants provider like Dr. Zingalis. Only a provider who has years of experience in dental implant placement can answer all your questions and anticipate what is best for your tooth replacement treatment. Now is the time to restore a healthy smile with beautiful dental implants!
10103 W Loop 1604 N #104
San Antonio, TX
Monday: 9AM – 5PM
Tuesday: 9AM – 5PM
Wednesday: 9AM – 5PM
Thursday: 9AM – 5PM
Friday: 9AM – 2PM